Holidays are about family, friends and celebration, but gifts aren’t exactly a small part of the equation either. When the holiday season kicks off, retail stores can expect a significant uptick in customers and sales. According to the National Retail Federation, this past holiday season – which ended in December 2014 – represented the highest in terms of holiday retail sales figures since 2011.
As NRF President and CEO Matthew Shay put it at the time, “There is every reason to believe we have moved well beyond the days of consumer pessimism and that the trajectory for retailers continues to point up.”
Shay’s assertion suggests that this holiday season may be even better than the last in terms of sales. But for stores, the great sales figures that the holidays bring can often be overshadowed by a rise in something far less desirable: theft.
Retail is a main target in holiday crime
Unfortunately, holiday sales aren’t the only things that have gone up recently – so have holiday theft statistics, with retailers tracing a 30 percent increase in such incidents. These days, 95 percent of retail stores have experienced theft, which points to what a pervasive issue it is. While there’s no one single way to prevent shoplifting incidents from happening, there are key steps stores can take to minimize such crimes, including:
- Hiring well-trained staffers who can provide an optimal level of customer service, thereby deterring thefts
- Having better detection technology in place at exits to prevent items from being swiped out of the store
- More actively monitoring inventory to ensure no discrepancies arise
Stores aren’t the only ones that face holiday threats
While it may seem that retailers are hit the hardest in terms of theft during the holiday months, individual consumers also face a significant degree of risk. One, for instance, comes in the form of ATM threats. Recently, there has been a 174 percent increase in such incidents.
Another common scheme consumers can fall victim to is the email scam. Is there an email in your inbox from your favorite holiday-themed store promising a special discount just for you? While it could be legitimate, it could also be a sophisticated phishing message from cyber thieves, who are convincingly posing as a sender you recognize in order to get you to disclose private information. These days, 11 percent of identity theft happens via technology, and with cybercriminals using more sophisticated and targeted methods, that number will undoubtedly rise.
But it’s not just technology that consumers have to worry about. With 43 percent of identity theft cases caused by things like stolen credit cards and wallets, people also have to be concerned about their physical documents getting swiped.
How CONTROLTEK can help make your holiday theft-free
Here at CONTROLTEK, we want to do our part to ensure that this holiday is a secure one. Here are some of the tools we offer that elevate holiday security:
- Triplok security bags: Our Triplok bags are top-of-the-line for securing currency in transit. With a triple seal closure and stringent detection mechanisms in place to identify any attempted tampering, these bags are the industry standard. As such, they’ve earned the Vault Process Certification (VPC) standards seal of approval, making them the go-to resource for cash management professionals.
- Tamper-evident security seals: As a global leader in security seals, we set the standard for this kind of technology. Whether it’s security totes, cash bags, ATM cassettes or other things you’re looking to secure, we’ve got a seal for your specific need.
- Deposit tickets and endorsement stamps: Deposit tickets and endorsement stamps offer an additional – and vital – layer of security when it comes to sending items. Our deposit tickets come in two forms, books or loose, while our stamps include a self-inking endorsement option. This is the kind of resource that helps you stay one step ahead of a prospective thief.
Retailers and individuals deserve to enjoy the holidays. With CONTROLTEK solutions, you can spend more time on enjoyment while knowing that your security is in good hands.